Our 5 minutes with Osbornes
1. Lets introduce you with your vital stats…. What’s your name and what local business do you own?
We are Andrew Lawrence and Graham Osborne, owners of the Osborne businesses in Old Leigh.
2. Can you tell us a bit more about Osbornes? Where can we find you and what do you do?
We are based in the Old Town, where we have a Fishmonger & Seafood Hall, along Cockle Row, and also a café specializing in ready to eat fish and shellfish, overlooking the Thames. We operate a number of fishing vessels, which we use to catch cockles and whelks. We then process these at our factory along Cockle Row, ready for our retail and wholesale markets. We have produced a short film showcasing our businesses.
3. What have you found is key to running a successful business in leigh-on-sea?
We believe being a 5th generation family run business plays a big part in our heritage. We believe in offering our customers the best quality products on offer, and the whole experience of enhancing their visit to Old Leigh.
4. What made you decide on a career within your sector?
We have been fortunate to have been raised in this industry, and we couldn’t think of anything else we would rather do!
5. So, a little more about the little town that we all love… Where is your favourite place in leigh-on-sea? Are you more of a broadway soul or an old town soul?
Our heart belongs in the Old Town! It isn’t somewhere that we tire of! The Estuary views, the culture and the people.
6. If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be and why?
Somewhere by the sea, it’s in our blood.
7. Can you tell us your favourite memory you hold in Leigh-on-sea?
Growing up in a fishing family, we were involved in trawler races which used to run every year. The Old Leigh Regatta, carrying yokes and baskets, climbing the greasy pole, and the cockle eating competitions. We had a lot of fun being involved in this!
8. Do you have a favourite bar or restaurant you go to in the town and if so, which one is it and why?
Not really, we like the variety of bars and restaurants available.
9. When did you last do a forward roll?
My memory doesn’t go that far back!
10. Finally, there any immediate exciting plans in the pipeline for Osbornes that you would like to share with our leigh-on-sea.com readers?
We are committed to keeping our heritage at the core of our business, whilst still being able to develop it in response to our customers’ needs. For example, we now accept card payments! We have lots of exciting ideas in the pipeline. Keep a look out on our facebook and Instagram pages for more updates.
Osborne & Sons (Shellfish) Limited
Nos. 7-9 The Cocklesheds
Essex SS9 2ER