Leigh on Sea News

HistoricaLeigh: The Right to Bear Arms

A recent clear out of old papers in the  Heritage Centre revealed some interesting snippets.......

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Elijah Risby - The Compassionate Shrimper

In October 1876 Elijah Risby was out shrimping near the Red Buoy off Leigh when he picked up an object. The object turned out to be a dead body which was very badly decomposed and partially devoid of flesh.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Deeds Not Words

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Man from the Manse

In 1911 the Manse in Elm Road next to Wesley Methodist Church had just been built and was first  occupied by the Rev William John Gregory Bestall. He was the second minister of Wesley Church joining the congregation in 1910.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Man from the Manse

In 1911 the Manse in Elm Road next to Wesley Methodist Church had just been built and was first  occupied by the Rev William John Gregory Bestall. He was the second minister of Wesley Church joining the congregation in 1910.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: "Dreadful SOUTHEND hurricane—Loss of thirteen lives by shipwreck"

......From The Times - 16 March 1842 comes a terrifying report 

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Smack - a pub by any other name

Many of you will have lamented the change of name of the Carlton Hotel to The Broadway a few years ago—the loss of tradition and the concession to the modern world which seems in many instances to be change for change’s sake.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: A tragic family of Elm Road

In 1911, No 181 Elm Road was inhabited by Gladys Lanser and her son and daughter. Her husband was not present but Gladys had married William Gilbert Lanser, a Mariner.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Kentish invasion

In September 1724 100 smacks with 500 men  from Queenborough and Faversham, led by the Mayor of Queenborough and their local MP (an oyster dredger) made a raid on the leigh oyster beds. 

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Missing The Carlton

The Southend Telegraph of 1 March 1913 reported on a meeting to be held at the Séance Hall in the Broadway which had had to be abandoned. A speaker was to have travelled from Scotland but instead a letter arrived to explain the situation....

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Leigh Mob

The Southend Telegraph of 1 March 1913 reported on a meeting to be held at the Séance Hall in the Broadway which had had to be abandoned. A speaker was to have travelled from Scotland but instead a letter arrived to explain the situation....

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Chester Cup

The Richard Chester Cup is made of silver gilt with a London hallmark of 1625-6 and a maker’s mark of F Terry. It bears an inscription around the lip ‘Mr Richard Chester his gift being Mayor of Ye Corporation in Anno 1615’.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Leigh - A Sportsmans Haven

It is well known that some of our greatest sports personalities over the years have come to Leigh to train or play.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh|:1066 and all that...

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: The Young's Connection

In 1805 a lady called Elizabeth Martha started selling fish caught in the River Thames. She married a local fisherman, Timothy Young and together they formed a business which prospered in the early 1800s and is still with us today.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh; Eva Annie

Just clear of the end of the marsh, at low tide, you can see the bottom boards and stem or stern post of a sailing barge.

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Brubs Bridge

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: Fairies at the bottom of the garden?

Maybe you remember one of the great hoaxes of the early 20th Century;  the so-called Cottingley Fairies?

Read More

HistoricaLeigh: A Leigh Union Trail Blazer Down Under

Read More

HistoricaLeigh - The Ham & Beef Shop


In 1835 Lady Olivia Sparrow, Lady of the Manor, erected  infant and junior schools in Leigh and engaged the Rev Ridley Herschell to run them

Read More