Southend United 2-0 Carlisle United Review!

March 2, 2015 by Alec Hitchman

Cumbrians Sent Back With Nothing - Southend United 2-0 Carlisle United

Southend United got back to winning ways in front of their own fans with a hard fought win over Carlisle United.

First Half:

Blues (Southend) had the better of the opening exchanges, but it was the visitors who mustered the first shot on target, with Blues’ young ‘keeper Ted Smith comfortably holding onto Steven Rigg’s header. Smith was in the side in place of Daniel Bentley, who is currently sidelined with an injury.

Not long after, Carlisle wasted another chance, when Kyle Dempsey found space in the box, only to fire horribly wide of the post.

Blues were next to create a chance, with Joe Pigott forcing Cumbrians’ ‘keeper Raphael Spiegel into a save down to his left after Pigott’s early shot. Pigott was in the thick of the action not long after when he misjudged David Worrall’s knock down, but the touch from Pigott fell kindly into the path of the onrushing Will Atkinson, who put his effort over the crossbar.

The first half continued in the same vain, but neither side could break the deadlock, after both goalkeepers were called into action only once each in the last ten minutes of the first half.

Second Half:

Soon after the second half had started, Blues were 1-0 up. Carlisle failed to deal with a cross into the box from David Worrall, the ball hit a few Carlisle players before it popped up, in what looked like a simple catch for Spiegel in the Carlisle goal. However, he more or less slapped the ball a few yards away from himself, before his blushes were spared by defender Sean O’Hanlon...but not for long! (all of five seconds!)

O’Hanlon’s half clearance found Michael Timlin on the edge of the box, and he blasted the ball into the back of the net from all of twenty yards out. His first goal of the season (I think), and in my opinion, his best goal for Southend.

Blues almost doubled their lead straight after when a long Ryan Leonard throw-in just missed the head of Joe Pigott. Once again, Carlisle messed around dangerously with the ball in their own box but eventually scrambled it clear.

In the 64th minute, Carlisle’s screams for a penalty were ignored by referee Trevor Kettle, who thought nothing (quite rightly) of Ted Smith’s challenge on Steven Rigg in the box.

Blues soon doubled their lead, when Michael Timlin’s swinging cross found the head of David Worrall at the back post. Worrall headed the ball back across goal, and there was Barry Corr, to tap the ball beyond Spiegel to wrap up all three points for Blues.

Blues could have extended their lead but Barry Corr & David Worrall both saw their chances go narrowly wide of the post. The referee blew for full time soon after and that was that. Blues are still in 5th place, but are only three points off of Wycombe Wanderers in 3rd, who they play at Roots Hall this coming Saturday.

For the record, the referee, Trevor Kettle has now taken charge of 18 Blues games. We (Southend) are yet to lose with Mr.Kettle as our referee.

I would just like to give a special mention to the 325 Carlisle fans who made the trip down. Good luck for the rest of the season.


Note: If comment section is not showing please log in to Facebook in another browser tab and refresh.