Legal Eagle Q & A: Where you stand legally on breaking your tenancy agreement

October 14, 2018 by Melinda @ Giles Wilson Solicitors

Question: I have a tenancy for a year but I want to leave earlier – can I give the landlord notice?

Answer: Not unless there is a “Break Clause” in your tenancy agreement – but there is nothing to stop you asking your landlord if it is possible to negotiate it. Some landlords are quite keen because they may be able to negotiate a higher rent with a new tenant or they may be planning to sell the property so it is always worth trying. 

This Q & A is by Melinda Giles at Giles Wilson Solicitors.  
For legal advice please call 01702 477 106 or visit one of Giles Wilson's offices: 1711 London Road Leigh, 54 Leigh Broadway, 5 Roche Close Rochford  



Note: If comment section is not showing please log in to Facebook in another browser tab and refresh.