Legal Eagle: Partners, Property and Protection - who gets what?

September 13, 2017 by Melinda @ Giles Wilson Solicitors

QUESTION: My partner and I have put different amounts into our property even though we pay the mortgage equally.  Should we keep a note of this? I am just thinking if we split up and I would want my larger share out.

ANSWER: You should definitely record this situation but do so properly with legal advice to also incorporate a co-habitation agreement as your circumstances may change.  It is not just the capital amounts that you have paid in but also how you then pay towards your living costs and other aspects of owning a property together.  I hope that this helps – but most of all I hope that it works out for you both.

This article is by Melinda Giles at Giles Wilson Solicitors.
For legal advice please call 01702 477 106 or visit one of Giles Wilson's offices:
1711 London Road Leigh, 54 Leigh Broadway, 5 Roche Close Rochford


If you would like to put forward a question to Melinda, please comment below or email