Recipe of the week : Classic Sticky Buns
For the dough:
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot milk about 110F/ 43C
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter melted
- 3 - 4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons melted butter plus more for pan
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
The method in the madness:
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg.
- Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 2 - 3 hours.
- To prepare the topping, add the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and the mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from heat, add the cream, mix well to combine.
- Pour this into a greased 9-x-13-inch pan the prepared pan and set aside.
- Punch down dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough.
- Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 10 - 12 slices.
- Coat the bottom of two baking sheets with butter. Place half the cinnamon buns on each sheet at least 3 inches apart on the baking sheet and let rise until dough is doubled (about 45 minutes to an hour).
- Bake on 350f/175c for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the sticky buns to cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Serve warm, sticky-side-up.