Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Southend United - Review

November 24, 2014 by Alec Hitchman

Blues Continue Unbeaten November - Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Southend United

Southend United maintained their unbeaten league form this month, after seeing off Tranmere Rovers in Birkenhead. Blues were unchanged from the victory against Hartlepool United last week, even though Myles Weston was back from international duty and defenders Jakub Sokolik & Jerome Binnom-Williams were back from suspension.

First Half

The game started quietly, with neither side attacking their opposition. The first notable chance of the game fell to the hosts, after Rovers’ midfielder Cole Stockton’s reverse pass got the better of Blues’ defence but Shamir Fenelon’s soft effort was saved by the leg of Blues ‘keeper Daniel Bentley.
Not long after, Blues had their first chance of the game. The ball was crossed into the box by David Worrall, Tranmere’s defence was all over the place, and the ball fell for Michael Timlin on the edge of the box, who’s shot went wide after it was blocked by ex-Burton Albion defender Marcus Holness.
Soon after, Blues took the lead. Ryan Leonard’s cross to the back post was headed back across goal by David Worrall and there was Jack Payne, Blues’ top scorer, to grab his fifth goal of the season. He managed to get in between defenders Marcus Holness & Michael Ihiekwe to cheekily stab the ball into the back of the net from six yards out.
Blues doubled their lead 7 minutes later, after David Worrall crossed once again, aiming for Barry Corr, but the ball was excellently headed into his own net by Tranmere defender Will Aimson, on loan at Tranmere from Hull City.
Things could have got better for Blues, had it not been for Tranmere ‘keeper, and one-time Southend target Peter Brezovan, who saved Jack Payne’s shot well.
The tide of the game seemed to turn just before half time, with Tranmere pressuring Blues into some panicky defending on the edge of and inside their own box. However, Blues defended well and headed into the break with a deserved two goal lead.

Second Half

In the second half, after early pressure from Tranmere, who forced Daniel Bentley into a few saves, Blues once again tested Tranmere’s Slovakian ‘keeper Brezovan, firstly through Jack Payne and then David Worrall.
But Blues fans were soon to be reminded of Cain Bolger’s defending. The Irish defender bought Shamir Fenelon down in the box and the referee quite rightly awarded Tranmere a penalty. Bolger could have no arguments as he got nothing of the ball. As soon as he made the tackle, he knew it was a penalty. Tranmere midfielder Max Power tucked the penalty into the back of the net, away from Daniel Bentley, the hosts were back in the game.
Tranmere continued to push, following the goal but found themselves frustrated by Blues’ defence countless times. Blues did well to convert defending into attack with one pass, more than four times in the second half, but couldn’t get the third goal that was settle the match. Instead, us travelling fans sat through the last five minutes of normal time, which consisted of excellent Blues defending and fruitless Tranmere attacks.
Four minutes were added on at the end, for any stoppages, but Blues held out for a deserved victory and go into next week’s home match against Northampton town on the back of three victories in the league.

The Rest of Them:

Accrington Stanley 2-1 Cambridge United
Burton Albion 1-0 Luton Town
Bury FC 1-3 Newport County
Cheltenham Town 1-4 Wycombe Wanderers
Dagenham & Redbridge 4-2 Carlisle United
Exeter City 3-2 Shrewsbury Town
Hartlepool United 1-3 York City
Mansfield Town 1-0 Plymouth Argyle
Northampton Town 1-0 Stevenage FC
Oxford United 0-0 AFC Wimbledon
Portsmouth FC 3-0 Morecambe FC